Appointments are available for for the services shown below.
Sexual and reproductive healthcare
- Contraception counselling, initiation and review. We can offer advice about any form of contraception.
- Requests for appointments for emergency contraception should be dealt with that day.
- Consultation for advice about termination of pregnancy should be available within a few days.
- Sexual health advice and testing - we are happy to offer confidential advice - a comprehensive sexual health service is provided by Locala - see below for appointment and contact details
- Services which require specialist clinic review (not performed at our practice) include contraceptive implant fitting and removal, contraceptive coil fitting - please ask if further information is required.
Contraception, sexual health and genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinics in Kirklees are provided by Locala Sexual Health. We offer friendly, free and confidential sexual health services at Princess Royal Health Centre and Dewsbury Health Centre.
Call to make an appointment or find your nearest drop-in session or check here for clinic times and locations.
030 3330 9981
- Contraception (12-month check for patients who take the contraceptive pill. Six months' prescription issued between checks)
- Pre-menstrual problems
- Breast awareness (not examination)
- Pre-conceptual advice
- Cervical smears
A cervical smear test detects any pre-cancerous changes in the neck of the womb and could help save your life. If you are aged between 25 and 50 years you are encouraged to have a test every three years. (Five-yearly between 50 and 65.)
- Peak flow monitoring
- Inhaler technique discussed
- Medication review
- Annual checks, including dietician and podiatry review
- Blood sugar checks and urine tests
- Medication review
- We stock most routine vaccines required for foreign travel
- PLEASE COMPLETE THE TRAVEL FORM AND RETURN TO RECEPTION AND THE NURSE WILL CONTACT YOU BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8.30am-6pm MON-FRI.
- Travel Form to download
The NHS Health Check is your chance to get your free midlife MOT. For adults in England aged 40-74 without a pre-existing condition, it checks your circulatory and vascular health and what your risk of getting a disabling vascular disease is. This guide explains what happens at the check, when and how you get one, and how to lower your risk.
- Blood pressure checks
- General advice
Appointments are available with the nurse for the following:
- Chesty coughs
- Sore throats
- Ear ache
- Eye infections
- Chest infections
- Urinary infections
Prescriptions will be issued by the nurse if it is appropriate. It is important that patients see the nurse rather than the doctor for the above.
- Appointment with midwife when pregnancy has been confirmed
- To monitor health throughout pregnancy
- To monitor the development of your unborn baby
- Removal of sebaceous cysts, toenails etc
- Appointments made through the doctor
Help Yourself To Health
Six ways you can help yourself to live a healthier lifestyle:
- Be a non-smoker
- Watch your weight
- Take regular exercise
- Eat a high fibre, low fat diet
- Only take alcohol in moderation
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun
Certain services such as private sick notes, insurance claim forms, travel cancellations and some medical examinations are not covered by the NHS and charges are made in line with the appropriate BMA recommended fee.
An appointment is not usually necessary; please check with the receptionists who will also inform you of the charge, so that the account can be settled immediately.